The Rawalpindi Chamber of Commerce and Industry (RCCI) is a non-profit organization that emphasizes green and sustainable business practices. RCCI has become THE FIRST GREEN CHAMBER of Pakistan by adopting a rainwater harvesting and recharging system, installation of Solar Panels for energy conservation, and a Tree Plantation Campaign.
RCCI now has become the First-Ever Green Chamber of Pakistan by installing Rainwater Harvesting and Recharge System and Solar Panels at chamber building following the prime minister’s vision to promote green culture among the community.
As we continue to grow and develop as a society, our demand for energy grows as well. To provide clean sources, we need to move towards more sustainable means of generating electricity, and solar energy is one of the most abundant and renewable methods available. Solar energy is one of the cleanest, most abundant, easily accessible sources of renewable energy which will never run out.
RCCI ENERGY EFFICIENT BUILDING (SOLAR SYSTEM)
- Rawalpindi Chamber of Commerce and Industry (RCCI) installed an On-Grid Solar System having the capacity of 60 Kilowatts. This solar system is battery-less and 100% Self-sufficient.
- All the Air Conditioners in the RCCI premises are fully operational on solar and contains environment-friendly gas called R-410A Refrigerant which is least damaging to the environment (and human health) and don’t deplete the ozone. SMD lights are installed which provides a prefect working environment and lower lumen depreciation. In addition they don’t carry Argon/Nitrogen mixture as well.
- RCCI has also installed an Automatic Light Sensor Switches within the building that allows significant savings on energy bills. A wireless, user-friendly system in which lights switched on automatically when needed.
- RCCI is ISO 14001: 2015 certified chamber that deals with the environment for promoting the green initiatives and environmental management systems. Moreover, Compliance with environmental regulations as well.
RCCI also focuses at renewable energy sources like wind and solar. Renewable energy would bring manifold benefits to the national economy as it would reduce the cost of doing business, promote industrialization, encourage investment, and create plenty of new jobs and enhance exports.
RCCI suggested the government to reduce its reliance on expensive power plants and fossil fuel imports in favor of cleaner, more accessible electricity for people and businesses. Moreover, RCCI demands the Government that they should reduce the taxes and duties on the import of Solar Panel and make new policies for the import of solar panels which include the PSQCA certificate, PSI certificate.
RCCI TREE PLANTATION DRIVE
Rawalpindi Chamber of Commerce & Industry has always tried to play an effective role in social development by fulfilling our social responsibility and has taken a number of initiatives. Considering the global impact of climate change and realizing our responsibility for saving the environment, we have also run tree plantation drives with the slogan of My Green Rawalpindi since from last four years.
More than one lac trees have been planted so far in order to not only makes the environment seemingly beautiful but also to counter the negative effect on our ecology. The tree-planting drive is a great opportunity for everyone to show their concern for the environment and help diminish the unfavourable effects of climate change.
According to Prime Minister of Pakistan Mr. Imran Khan’s initiative, The Rawalpindi Chamber of Commerce and Industry (RCCI) kicked off Plantation Drive under My Green Rawalpindi and planted the following types of plants:
- Bottle brush
- Weeping Willow
- Gaillardia (Blanket flower)
- Celosia (Cock’s comb)
RCCI supports PM Mr. Imran Khan’s Clean and Green initiative and already participating in different activities in the fight against climate change. PM also supports RCCI efforts in promoting advocacy drives on tree plantation and rainwater harvesting.
Federal Minister for Narcotics Control Muhammad Azam Sawati lauded RCCI efforts for the national cause that Pakistan is among the top ten countries where glaciers are melting with fast speed and causing climate change. Climate change is directly linked with the economy of any country.
We should promote these activities and work as a team to achieve one goal, i.e. Clean and Green Pakistan. It is our responsibility to secure the future of our generations by promoting tree plantation and green initiatives.
RCCI Plantation Drive Collaboration with Dean of Diplomatic Corps.
RAINWATER HARVESTING & RECHARGE SYSTEM
With the scarcity of water and there being no water conservation system, there is a dire need for bringing a system that helps to cater to the problem of water conservation. A large amount of rainwater gets wasted due to poor management.
RCCI took crucial measures to turn our building into the First Water Conservation
Chamber of Pakistan. Considering the humble endeavors of RCCI to utilize rainwater and act
as a responsible organization, RCCI has developed a very low-cost Water Conservation System which was formally inaugurated by Governor Punjab, Chaudhry Mohammad Sarwar.
Rainwater Harvesting & Recharge System is the accumulation and deposition of rainwater for reuse on-site, rather than allowing it to run off.
RCCI took this initiative to conserve water in tanks by not allowing it to run off from the rooftop and then using this accumulated water for various purposes like recharging the rainwater into the ground for raising the water-table level and then using it for land irrigation, watering of plants and drinking, etc. As per the approved design of PCRWR.
- To raise the water-table.
- Conservation of the scarce natural resource.
- A source of water for landscape irrigation
- Sustain the Scarce Resource.
It is a responsibility of every one of us either an individual or an organization to protect the environment, ecosystem and conserve water. As water is the lifeline and one of the scarce natural resources we have and every individual depends on water for livelihood; we must learn how to keep our limited supply of water pure and clean from pollution.
- Up till now, 25 organizations have approached the Rawalpindi Chamber of Commerce & Industry for the replication of the Rainwater Harvesting & Recharge System.
- Apart from the Chamber itself, Rainwater Harvesting & Recharge System has been installed in 7 to 8 other organizations as well.
Areas where these recharge system has been installed
Bahria Town Phase- 4 (1 Canal)
Suzuki Central Motors
F-8 Islamabad, (4 Canals)
Gov. Primary & High School, Ghareebabad, Rawalpindi – (20 Canals)
Punjab Employees Social Security Institution (PESSI) – (4 Canals)
Silver Oaks Schools Civil Lines
Fatima Jinnah Women University
Installation Model of Rainwater Harvesting System at RCCI
Apple Group of School
The City School Islamabad
- Our basic aim is to convert the grey streets into green streets with the initiative of “One House One Tree”.
- Designs of new buildings will be passed only if they have drains and tanks to channel and store rainwater.
- Save water save life.
- Plantation of 1000,000 trees.